The Dress Project – Part 2

by Cellobella on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 · 10 comments

It’s finished.

Total cost $59.60 – I had to buy some more thread – although if I use the pattern again, that cost will go down slightly. :)

I’m wearing it to work today and getting lots of nice comments. :)

So here’s how it turned out in pictures…

It’s not perfect but for my first dress I’m quite happy with it.  It fits really well.

I used that hemming tape – it’s like double sided iron on interfacing – so easy.  And I might go back and use it around the neck line to hold the lining in place.

The pattern (Burda 7854) though a little fiddly was easy to follow and when I was patient enough to baste first and do all the right things I didn’t have to unpick… there was a bit of unpicking!

Anyway now that’s over I have three work dresses in my wardrobe (two to go) and time to follow up on my HASAY exercise which has sadly fallen by the wayside a bit with the birthday and all…

By the way – for all HASAY members who work – I’ve got a great idea to share with you so come back soon!

river October 29, 2008 at 5:43 pm

That turned out really well. It’s a lovely dress and the colour is great too. I’m very impressed. Can the pattern be altered at all to produce different looks?

Guera October 29, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Wow! Very impressive. Do you take orders? :)

Lulu October 29, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Wow that looks great- the colour is fantastic on you!

You have obviously (unlike myself) done a lot of sewing in the past it would seem- hope I can get to be as good as you.

Cellobella October 29, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Thank you!

No not taking orders at this time – starting lessons on Thursday.

I did a bit of sewing in my yoof but not for many years. This is the first thing I’ve sewn “properly” since about 1987! I’ve made a few kids things – you know – elastic on bit of cloth jobbies. :)

River – I think you could – change the colours of the top for example, maybe have a softer material for the skirt or even change it to an A-line.

As I’m very much sticking to the pattern at the moment though I’d be a little nervous of playing around too much.

Casey October 30, 2008 at 12:08 am

Woah, that dress is beautiful! I’m seriously impressed over here, I can barely sew a button. Looks great on you too! Now hit the pavement tonight after work….. GOOOOOOOOOO HASAY!

Heather October 30, 2008 at 2:21 am

WOW! Good job woman! And you are very brave! I’m too scared to show my “thirty something” arms. They aren’t like they use to be!

Cath October 30, 2008 at 3:07 am

You go girl!
I’m impressed…just Thursday and Friday dresses to go!

Elisa October 30, 2008 at 4:37 am

Looks great!

Now make yourself one in RED! :)

Cellobella October 30, 2008 at 11:06 am

Casey… arghhh must go for a run!

Heather… I know! The thing is… I’m not confident to make sleeves!

Cath… !!!!! Maybe I’ll hit the shops…

Elisa… or maybe blue. :)

Brenda-SeriouslyMama October 30, 2008 at 2:31 pm

That dress is fantastic and looks great on you. I hope you wore it with those fabulous shoes too. How the HASAY stuff going?

I love the picture in your header!