We are all in the gutter

by Cellobella on Sunday, December 28, 2008 · 7 comments

A guest post from Groover:

It was Oscar Wilde who penned the line, “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars”.

It’s a favourite of mine, along with many other Wilde quotes, but to me it perfectly describes the principle that it is not circumstance that defines us, but our attitude and response to those circumstances.

I came across this on my way to work today. I thought that it was a discarded bouquet of flowers but on further inspection it turned out to be the perfect embodiment of my attitude to life from this moment on.

We may all be economically “in the gutter” but from now on, I’m this plant.

Living full-out in the moment, shouting at the world that this maybe a gutter but look at me I’m giving life a red-hot go and doing what I do best.

Today I paused and noticed the flowers. They taught me a valuable lesson.

Dina December 29, 2008 at 3:29 am

Such a beautiful post!

I love the quote and I love how you interpreted the flowers.

I think you’ve improved my mood a tiny bit.

river December 29, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Evening primroses! A couple of months from now they may very well be spreading along the length of the gutter. They’re very hard to get rid of once they’re established somewhere. You can pull up a bucket load of roots, think you’ve got it all, then one day you’ll see a flower, then a few more, and so it goes on. We have the white variety in the front corner of the yard. They look so welcoming every time I walk up the driveway.

Mandie December 29, 2008 at 11:39 pm

I’ve just stumbled across your blog and have been enjoying reading a few of your recent posts. I love this one – beautiful! :) Keep it up!

The Poshi December 30, 2008 at 12:55 am

There are always flowers for those who want to see them – Henri Matisse

Cellobella December 30, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Hi Mandie – welcome! And thanks for commenting.

Nice quote TP.

Dina you just made Groover’s day!

And river… they sound like the sort of flowers I need in my garden – ones that grow without love and attention!!

Colin Campbell December 30, 2008 at 11:34 pm

We have some of those in the storm drains near our house. Our version as slightly paler, but very similar in the WTF, how does that survive department.

Debbie January 1, 2009 at 12:58 pm

A perfect post to read this New Year’s Eve night.