The demise of the real Christmas Tree

by Cellobella on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmas 2005I’ve been running this little poll on the left hand side there about the type of Christmas Tree we choose for our homes and I’m surprised by the early results.

So far everyone has said they have a fake tree that looks real and I confess so do we.

I never used to. I always insisted on a live tree in a pot which I kept outside all year and brought in. The last one of these we used was an Albany Woolly Bush which have lovely soft leaves.

We also used a conifer in years past, now retired to the front garden.

In Broome, I had a ficus.

When I grew up I can remember we either had the carefully tended potted tree or one of those YMCA cut trees which slowly died and dropped it’s needles but smelled fantastic.

About four years ago, Groover went out and bought an enormous “real looking” fake Christmas tree and we’ve been using that ever since. It’s about 8 feet tall and lives most of the year in a large box in the back room.

It looks fantastic, creates much less mess, and I suppose is “green” in that I’m not killing a tree. However, a small part of me laments the lack of a real tree.

What do you do?

Meg November 28, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Fake to look real. I’ve never had a real tree – ever!

Lightening November 28, 2007 at 4:41 pm

I’ve only ever had a real tree once. When I was about 11 I think. It was a pine tree of sorts I think and sent us all our hayfever mad. LOL.

I can look out the window and see about 30 “real” Christmas Trees (pine ones that is) but I aint having one in the house. LOL. DH has decided that next year we’ll decorate the one nearest the road (which is also the smallest so we’re waiting for it to grow big enough to be seen). Then we’ll have a “real” Christmas Tree – outside where it belongs. LOL.

Afraid we’re a “plastic” family here when it comes to a Christmas Tree. :-)

M November 28, 2007 at 6:54 pm

We have a fake tree that looks real. However, the BEST trees I ever saw were the trees that my family and my husband’s family had on the farm. My husband’s family lived way out east WA and would go out and chop down (eek) a small bushy native tree, put it in a container of sand and decorate with old hand-made decorations. No glitz, just beautiful.

Kelley November 28, 2007 at 8:07 pm

OK, here is where I release the craziness that is Kelley, before I confess my madness on my blog!

OK, here goes:

Loungeroom: Real tree all the way. Nothing says Christmas than the smell of a real purpose grown, chopped down in it’s prime, rotting in the back of my garden for the rest of the year, tree.

Family room: Kids tree. Real look fake, 7 foot tall

Dining: Little fake tree

Hall way: one of those fake wall trees (half a tree)

Kids rooms: Little real decorated trees

Bathroom (hey! Don’t judge me, I said I was crazy) small fake tree

and then I decorate all the natives in the front AND back yards…..

and that is just the trees……..

Meg November 28, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Kelley

Now that’s what I call getting into the spirit of the occasion :D

drew November 28, 2007 at 9:10 pm

My folks have the same tree we had when my siblings and I were growing up. It must be thirty years old.

We bought a crappy cheap thing one year when we thought we should really have one. It was only going to be temporary but we still have it three years later.

And I know I haven’t dropped by in a while but you changed your template and I stopped getting your RSS feed.

Cellobella November 28, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Welcome back Drew!

Kelley! OMG!! I am speechless!!!

M – I reckon the Woolly Bush is the best native for pretending to be a Christmas Tree and they grow well (and slowly) in a pot.

Lightning – if they stay outside there is certainly less mess!

feline November 29, 2007 at 8:53 am
river November 29, 2007 at 3:29 pm

I have a 6 foot tall fake tree that doesn’t look at all real. It’s way too big now that I’ve downsized to a unit, so we just use the top bit, propped up in a bucket and standing on a box draped with a christmassy fabric. We try to load on all the decorations that used to go on the full tree, so it looks pretty full and christmassy. Yours looks lovely. i also have two bookleaf conifers outside, one each side of the front door, and i put tinsel on those, but no lights, no lights on the inside tree either as the blinking can trigger a migraine for me.

hazelblackberry December 3, 2007 at 11:31 am

We have an inflatable tree that is bright green, topped with an inflatable yellow star, and clipped on to the end of the branches blow-up bauables in ornage, pink and red (I think, from memory, Christmas 2006 was a long time ago). I keep meaning to post a picture of it on the blog. Will do so this year. It’s quite bright and festive – we love it.

Sueblimely December 11, 2007 at 7:40 pm

After having a small fake tree while growing up I vowed to always have a real tree when I had a home of my own. I did so for 20 odd years except for last year when I found a real looking fake. I missed our trip to the Christmas Tree Farm to choose our own tree as well as the wonderful scent around the house. This year we are having a real one as well as the fake.