The importance of a best friend

by Cellobella on Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The other day at work I mentioned a friend in a conversation and my colleague turned to me and asked “Is she your best friend?”

It stopped me in my tracks.

I’ve been thinking a lot about best friends lately and how important – to 10-year-olds at least – it is to have a best friend.

I met my best friend at school at the age of 10. In years 6&7 we were inseparable. I’d go over to her house 2-3 times a week, we had sleepovers, secretly liked the same boys, played hopscotch, trampolining, elastics, and board games endlessly. We were both born in Canada. Her family Canadian, my family Australian (working abroad at the time). I went to Wave Rock with her family. She came to Rotto with mine.

She taught me how to riffle shuffle – a skill I enjoy to this day. I don’t think I taught her anything. Her dad would wake us up in the morning singing lougly:

Good morning to you
Good morning to you
Whatever the weather
We’ll face it together
In work or in play
a beautiful day!

Best Friends circa 1979

Note the similar fashion style, even similar hair! We’d have been around 12.

I remember on the way home, her dad stopped on the side of the road. A fox had been killed. I don’t know why he stopped – maybe to get the foxtail. He turned the dead animal over and I can still see to this day the teeming maggots, green and maroon.

Today we don’t see each other. We grew apart when she moved schools in Year 9 but kept in touch. She has moved to Vancouver with her husband and two boys. Maybe she reads this blog. I hope so.

If you’re reading girlfriend: Thank you for being a great best friend!

Lulu April 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm

I love the photo!! You haven`t changed much!!!

It was a nice tribute to your friend. I have lost contact with some friends over the years but my first real best friend, Mandy, and I are still in contact and now she has a blog too. We are both from Brisbane but she is living in London and me in Tokyo but she will be coming to Brisbane to be a bridesmaid at my wedding next May!

Thanks to facebook and email I have managed to keep in contact with a lot of friends, but those I had before age 10 are sometimes hard to track down….in fact it is terrible but there are a couple I would love to get in contact with but I can not remember their surnames! My mum helped me with one but unfortunately I could not track her down!

I hope your friend is reading!

jen April 3, 2008 at 8:58 am

I had a pair of shorts just like those red ones. I still keep in touch with a girl who started grade 1 with me too many years ago.

Babyamore (Trish) April 3, 2008 at 11:15 am

This is the second best friend post I have read today .
It is great to have special memories (and not so great maggots eeewww).
Very cute photo by the way.
What is rifle shuffle ?

I have two best friends from school and another I have had for almost 37 years … though she moved at 9yrs (removed I should say from parents care) but we managed to stay in touch .
She texted me the other day (I was driving and out) *gasp* you just reminded to get back to her .Haven’t spoken for along while.

ali April 3, 2008 at 1:54 pm

i bet you DID teach her something. last night i had a sleepover at my mum’s house. she’s kept my school story books – the ones i wrote in and letters i’d written from boarding school. lots of memories flooded back about the friends i had in school.

river April 3, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I’ve had and do have a few friends and many acquaintances but I’ve never had a “best” friend. I also hope that your friend reads your blog. It would be so nice for both of you to communicate this way.

PlanningQueen April 3, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Cool photo. My best friend is going through a terribly sad experience at the moment. I feel so helpless as I can’t stop her pain, but she knows that I am there for her. Best friends are so very important.

Guera April 3, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Love the shorts! I am still friends with my best friend from Primary school – we met on the first day of Kindergarten at age 4. Most of the other primary and high school ones I have lost touch with and my closest friends now are the uni ones.

Cellobella April 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Huh! There’s no way I’d wear a pair of shorts like that today! :)