A genuine question to Christians

by Cellobella on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

This video is the second most watched comedy clip from Rowan Atkinson on Youtube.

And I’m wondering – if you’re Christian – is it offensive?

My opinion – and I wouldn’t call myself religious – that it isn’t. But then again, would I say the same about a similar sketch based on the Koran? I’m not sure.

Please let me know what you think in comments.

Bettina March 18, 2008 at 9:54 pm

baahaahaa – love it!!

yes, I’m a christian. No, I’m not offended.

And I think far too many christians take themselves or their religion (there is a difference between faith and religion in my book) way too seriously. But then, that is also where so much of the humour surrounding churches comes from………. we tend to poke fun at the things taken too seriously so round and round it goes.

There are some things that do offend me (when jokes about God/Jesus become completely rude and crude), but not this type of thing.

Guera March 18, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Very funny! I am not religious at all, so I can’t really say whether Christians would find it offensive, but I would hope not. It’s pretty mild in the scheme of things that people could (and do) say about Chrisitianity. I think the ability to laugh at yourself or at good-natured parodies of you or your beliefs is a pretty healthy trait. I agree with Bettina that a lot of people take themselves so seriously that they end up looking ridiculous in their fervour.

Lightening March 19, 2008 at 9:00 am

I don’t consider myself to be religious either. I am however a Christian. Did that stop me laughing until tears rolled down my face? No. In fact, those who are familiar with the bible are likely to find it the funniest, in my opinion. It’s really quite clever. :)

In my mind the difference lies in the obviousness of the intent. This to me was just a bit of fun. It’s when their is malice behind the joking that I struggle with. OR if people make claims about what the bible says that are wrong – without it being a “joke” if that makes sense.

The difference between religion and Christianity in my opinion? Christianity is about relationship with God (who I am quite sure has a sense of humour based on my experiences). Religion is about following a set of rules.

Cellobella March 19, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Interesting…

The reason I asked was that I handled a complaint that this piece of comedy was played on the radio as it was offensive to Christians.

I couldn’t hear any offense, but as I said, I’m not religious so I didn’t think I was qualified to judge.

Bettina March 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm

there are many people who take their belief in certain things very seriously, whether it be religion, politics, feminism, football etc who will often take any attempt at humour, no matter how innocently poking fun, and turn it into an attack on their beloved institution.

It’s like anything else really………….. you can’t keep everyone happy all the time.

Lightening March 20, 2008 at 6:48 am

I have to admit I’m not one that gets easily offended. I do take issue with some stuff in the media but it’s more often a moral/ethical issue that perhaps my kids are being exposed to.

It’s Mr Bean for crying in a bucket. LOL. I mean, who takes that seriously enough to get offended?

hazelblackberry March 20, 2008 at 8:08 am

I’m not Christian. I didn’t find this offensive. I would be surprised if anyone did. But I can easily see how someone might find “”Piss Christ” offensive. I did, because it was offensive to art in my view.

Sketches like this are, to me, just intended for ribbing.

Interested in your comment that you might find it offensive if it was a similar sketch done regarding the Koran. Why? Either we tease in an equal opportunity way or we don’t tease anyone for anything at all. There can’t be just one whipping boy. And we all have the obligation to keep a sense of humour.

The important point is intent. Stuff that is supposed to gently mock, not be malicious.

Kelley March 20, 2008 at 9:54 am

I thought it was hilarious. But then I thought that the Jesus light switch that I posted was hysterical but I coped a LOT of flack for that. I was astounded actually, cause I didn’t say anything negative about religion or Jesus just the idiots that thought it was appropriate.

So if I think it is funny, then it must be offensive.

Sorry, still smarting from that post…

PlanningQueen March 20, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I am a Christian and was not in the least offended by this. I agree with Hazel Blackberry’s comment, that it is the intent with which the sketch is created which is the most important factor.

However since 9/11 and some of the associated demonising that occurred because of the actions of a few radical extremists, I think that there would be greater sensitivity over sketches like this dealing with the Koran.

Gemisht March 21, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Very, very funny. And I can see that those without any understanding of Christianity might not find it as funny.

Its those that take it all very seriously that might be.